This section of the timeline will guide you through all of the first things to think about in planning your event. Here you will find guidance on what resources you will need to draw up immediately, and fundamental initial considerations of event planning and working with volunteers.
- Visit the Venue (See Venue visit checklist)
- Meet with all key people involved in the event
- Gather essential info (see Essential information checklist) including your
Event Volunteer budget (See Event volunteer budget template)
- Find out whether there is a limit on the number of volunteers
that can attend and check if they'll need complimentary tickets,
car park passes etc.
- If you do not already have an event volunteer policy see The Yorkshire marathon's policy, WCVA's model
volunteering policy and Club solutions websites for some ideas
and examples of what to include.
- Check you are clear about what support you can give to
volunteers - e.g. Training, Expenses, Transport,
- Check that you have insurance which would cover event
volunteers. If not, see WCVA;s guidance on volunteer
insurance, Club solution's guidance,
- Find out whether volunteers will need a DBS check
- Write up volunteer role descriptions See Voluntary Arts Wales' mental health arts festival
volunteer role description.
- Write up volunteer recruitment adverts See Voluntary Arts Wales' mental health arts festival
volunteer recruitment advert.
- Start to recruit volunteers (See Recruitment
& diversity )
- Plan any training or induction that the event volunteers will
need and arrange it for an appropriate time prior to the
event. (See Planning training for events volunteers
- Agree with others involved in the event whether volunteers will
be identified at the event by branded t-shirt / lanyard etc,
and agree who will be responsible for ordering t-shirts / lanyards
- If the event means volunteers need to stay overnight, start
looking into accommodation for volunteers.
Video: Engaging volunteers
before an event
Draw up the following:
Other things to do before the event --->>