Finding available contracts and being invited to tender involves
a combination of research and networking.
Opportunities for contracting with the public sector may be
advertised in a wide variety of places:
- Advertisements in local, regional or national newspapers and
- Sell 2 Wales allows organisations to register and receive
notification of contract opportunities www.sell2wales.co.uk
- Local authorities now tend to advertise their contract
opportunities on their own websites.
- Local authorities also frequently organise 'Meet the buyer'
events which aim to bring purchasers and suppliers together.
- Public sector contacts - identify an appropriate individual
involved in procurement and make sure you are kept informed of
- Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU)
publishes all public sector contracts over a specified EU
Make the connection
To stand a chance of winning contracts you need to get connected
and network. You need to reach out to your potential purchasers -
the local authorities, health bodies and other public sector
bodies. You also need to be able to form close partnerships with
otherthird sector organisations, so that you can work with them in
consortia for large-value contracts. Smaller organisations might
want to think about sub-contracting with larger organisations so
that they can take on just those aspects of service delivery that
they are experts at, without overstretching.