Review your plans
It is advisable to monitor and review the progress of a
fundraising strategy or plan throughout, to determine how it
measures up to the initial targets. At any stage, ask yourself:
- Were we over or under-ambitious regarding our targets?
- Do we need to revise our plans?
- Do we need to conduct more research into potential funders or
- Do we need to diversify our funding base?
- Do we need advice or training on business or strategic planning
or preparing fundraising strategies?
Monitoring without evaluation is worthless - any strategy or
plan should be a living document so that further growth can be
justified, and areas of work no longer needed or sustainable can be
(and should be) dropped.
In addition, early wins and successes should be recognised and
celebrated, in order to motivate staff involved and give
credibility to the future sustainability of the organisation.
Some ways to integrate a fundraising strategy into an
organisation might include:
- Regular reviews of the strategy at staff events or 'away
- Build strategy updates into management meetings
- Identify key milestones for the plan to monitor progress
- Circulate the plan to new staff, volunteers and trustees